Friday, July 30, 2010

Flow so properly, you'll see I'm whoa!

Had a moment of utter panic this morning while transferring items for my trip into my backpack.

Luggage locks? Check.

Outlet adaptor for the Mac? Check.

Malaria prescriptions? Check.

Deet? Check and check.

Passport with Visa and travelers health insurance? NOPE.

I have only had this type of adrenaline rush when I have been on the receiving end of a car t-boning me. My internal dialogue went something along the lines of.... "You moved it to try and keep it safe, but there is really not a place in my room that is more safe than the next, so why did you move it? There is no way you can get a re-print with a week turn around, Marni, you are one stupid..." Then I started counting the exact dollar amount that I have spent to make this India trip happen, which, in case you were wondering, did not help with the sinking despair. I decided to look through the stuff I pulled out of my duffel one more time to make sure I had not missed it, and sure enough, tucked under the case that my luggage locks are in, was my passport.
This incident also made me realize how truly terrified I am to go on this trip by myself, I can't even keep track of my passport for God's sake. I will just have to take this journey one step at a time. Now I am getting on a plane.... Now I am getting into a shifty cab with a crazy driver, seeing my life flash before my eyes. Everything is going to be fine.

Seth came out for his final visit before picking me up next week, we saw Dinner for Schmucks. It was meh. There were a few moments of funny, but nothing like I was expecting from the comedic minds of Zach Galifianakis, Paul Rudd and Steve Carell. I cannot believe that this was the last time he will be visiting me at camp, I now have less than a week left, and although it was a certifiably insane decision to have a one day turn around, I am glad that I leave for India on the 9th, because I am not quite sure what I would do with myself if I went from camp to our apartment in Lafayette. Living in this closed society for the last 9 weeks, with people to talk to 24 hours a day, to not having anyone that is not covered in fur to talk to within a thousand miles.

Plans are still unclear about what will be happening come January, so I have just decided that Seth will land a great job in Seattle, or a residency in Dublin and we will sleep on a bed of money for the rest of our days. OR we could end up jobless and homeless wandering the streets of Lafayette Indiana begging for food.

4 comments:

Kellie/Joe said...

You don't want to be homeless in the midwest. Go somewhere warmer, or go to Idaho which is supposed to be the best place for hobos.

Aames said...

The first time I traveled alone - and I mean just between states - I lost my boarding pass IN the airport. Left it at a coffee shop. I remember thinking "clearly I am not capable of completing this trip on my own..." I HATE that feeling. But you will survive and be amazing for it. I'm jealous.

I'm sad Dinner for Schmucks is meh. I had high hopes.

And finally... why can't your piles of money (or homelessness) be on the East coast?!

Oh wait, I just keep 'talking' here, but what would happen to Maybe if you went to Dublin? I want to go on a stint overseas... but I stupidly took on a couple responsibilities such as Newman and a mortgage.

Unknown said...

SEATTLE! SEATTLE! SEATTLE! Maybe and Giggs will be great friends frolicking in the back yard...

sara2delta said...

you two will be sleeping on a pile of money. i KNOW it.

im so jealous of your india trip...even though it will probably be hard at times, please live it up (even the down-sides) for people like me who are dying to have an experience like that!

Post a Comment