Friday, July 2, 2010

Don't focus on the one guy who hates you....

"Don’t focus on the one guy who hates you. You don’t go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog shit."
I am working hard to not focus on the dog shit in life.
This last week we said goodbye to our two week campers, and are now well past the half way point of the first session, one week from tomorrow will be the final day of the first half of my summer. I am sure there is a better way to word that, but I am exhausted. I am having many a lesson on staying present, but it is very difficult when I feel anticipatory anxiety over things that might happen. I know that there will be more drama, my problem is that I feel if I let my guard down, that it will be worse than if I wait expecting it with knots in my stomach. I am fully aware that logically this makes no sense.
I am teaching the Yoga rotation today, and I now realize that taking a Yoga class and teaching a Yoga class are two very different experiences, I am much more stressed after teaching a Yoga class to a group of unresponsive kids than I was before the class started.I also find myself using the same language and metaphors that I snickered at when I took classes in the past, I am not sure if it is just because this is what I know, or that this is what works. Taking a Yoga class always left me relaxed and reflective, teaching a Yoga class leaves me rageful and angry.
Seth is working hard in Bloomington, and getting ready for a visit with his parents this weekend. He was going to come up on Friday night again and leave Sunday morning, but we decided that this would reek of effort and time, and we will just wait until our anniversary on the 17th. So I am taking my day off from Saturday night to Sunday with Maria and Kelly, we are heading to the bustling metropolis of Cincinnati. I hear tell there is an H&M...... Which is enough for me.

3 comments:

Momila said...

Ah My Miss Marni--how we miss you!! And now, after reading your comments about the kids..I think you are truly an adult. Kinda sucks, huh?
I am sure you are doing great work, because even tho these privileged teens are probably cretins to work with, I know you're doing a great job with them.
Love you & miss you!
Buffy

Kellie/Joe said...

I am a horrible person to read all your posts and walk away saying only "well, at least that bitch misses Utah." Warms the cockles of my heart. :)

Love you!

sara2delta said...

ive been taking yoga for 2 years or so now, and id be terrified to teach a class!!! youre a champ-eene, marn.

Post a Comment