Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Official Week

The campers arrived one week ago today, and they have been keeping me busy with sleep disorders, homesickness, bunk changes, camper/counselor issues and fist fights. There are two girls bunks in particular that seem to be taking up most of my energy. I really had no idea that summer camp could ruin your entire childhood but apparently, I was wrong. What is funny is that I get some of the same arguments here for why life is terrible as I did in residential treatment, where kids were physically restrained if they tried to leave and I had to dish up their condiments. I guess twelve year old girls will bring drama with them wherever they go. I am the lone wolf in my department, and no one wants to join my wolf pack, which is understandable, as none of them choose the profession of being emotionally pooped on except me. Speaking of which, I had a can of crazy opened up on me by a mother, who essentially told me that I was a terrible therapist, and that I don't view kids as individuals because I told her that it was unseasonably hot, and our kids were exhausted, which may be playing a part into why her daughter feels like she wants to come home. Don't worry La Europa peeps, I did an Arbinger brush up before camp started, so I didn't loose it, but I did call Chris and sob and drip snot all over the phone for twenty minutes. This post may be more negative than usual, as I was awoken last night to nausea that refused to let me sleep until I released the contents of my stomach an hour later. Which may have had something to do with the snot I left all over my receiver.... I am feeling better now, and was able to take it easy the majority of the day, and most importantly catch up on trashy television. Seth will be here on Friday night, to kick off my first official day off in three weeks. I am so excited to sleep in, and eat in a restaurant that isn't filled with kids. Well, I just received a call from a parent worried about letters home, and now need to go investigate, so until next time, Lilah Tov.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

you are a bad ass. snot and all.

sara2delta said...

hang in there marn! because i know how radass you are, i KNOW youre a wonderful therapist! that mom was probably bat-shit crazy. or at least borderline :)

Post a Comment