Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I should be telling you what these pictures are...

But instead I am going to tell you about the fun-filled evening I had last night. Just as we were sitting down to dinner, we got a call on the radio that there was a tornado warning, and that we needed to head to the office. We marched to the office, and were instructed that the tornado touched down in Madison, which apparently is not far from here, and we needed to go to the basement. We all stood around in the basement for a while, or right outside watching the very angry sky dump it's fury on us. We ended up having dinner in the office, because they weren't sure if the tornado warning was going to start up again. One of the Israeli scouts poked her head into Edana's office and said , "This is so exciting, just like the movie". "Which Movie," I asked "The one where everybody dies?" She just squealed and ran out. At least they don't require much to impress them, just a destructive act from God will do the trick. The English were speculating that it had to be the second coming of Christ because "Touchdown Jesus" (a statue of Jesus coming out of a pond in front of a church located just outside of Dayton) was struck by lightning the day before, and now he is just a couple of metal poles protruding out of the ground. The pictures are pretty apocalyptic. So after all of this settled down and we were free to leave, I went home and watched a very enlightening show called; "I didn't know I was pregnant". Apparently, there are enough women out there having babies on toilets that they have devoted an entire half hour of programming to it. I figured I would turn in early, because the campers were arriving the next morning, and I wanted to be bright eyed and bushy tailed. So I climbed into bed and started reading, I was getting drowsy, and about to turn off my light when I felt something move near my head, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of gray. That flash, turned out to be a mouse. THAT RAN ACROSS MY FACE. I yelped, which was futile, because I was the only one in the house, everyone else was in the office. So I radioed over to see if there was anyone that was available to help me catch a mouse. Edana came over with Binny, and Paula (the facilities director who lives at camp year round) and her daughter Aerial, and her friend Chloe. It took all six of us 30 minutes and multiple devices to catch the TWO mice we found living under my bed. That's right, I was sleeping on top of a mouse family. The country girls were saying we should suffocate them a plastic bag, but they decided instead to dump them into a giant water jug, and think of some more creative way to implement their torturous plan. One of the mice got away in the process, and they carted the other one off in the jug and left it on the front porch of the office. I secretly released him on a mercy mission this morning, but with the understanding that if he came back, I would go medieval on his little mouse ass. I couldn't have a mouse death weighing on me, I'm a vegetarian.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to shame you for not calling me Wed. night, telling you that I wept silently by the phone waiting for your call...but after this post, I think I'll give you a pass...HILARIOUS!

sara2delta said...

i wouldnt be able to kill it by drowning it. NO WAY. those mouse traps would be the only way- fast and painless. although i eat a mostly vegetarian diet, i am totally ok with the bad karma on my shoulders i have from killing a few mice in the backyard (with said traps). i dont do mice (ours were more like a ROUSes), especially when i catch them scurrying under the house im living in. and if it RAN ACROSS MY FACE? no. period.

Post a Comment