Friday, September 17, 2010

This is how we do it, it's Friday night

Well, here we are. Friday night and I am blogging. To my credit I have actually been making an attempt at being a productive adult.
1) I filled out an application to read to senior citizens
2) I sold my juices for a sweet $35
3) I used my freshly acquired library card to pick up Ulysses by James Joyce
This brings me to my goal for the next 3 1/2 months, to read the Modern Library's best 100 novels (The boards list). If I have read the novel I am not re-reading it (Kiss it Faulkner, there is no way I am re-visiting a Light in August). This list made me feel entirely robbed from my high school lit classes. Most of the text that I digested in high school came from the book with the picture of the baseball player on it and consisted of various short stories by obscure unknown authors, or three page excerpts from more famous authors, I suppose the Jordan school district couldn't afford the copy rights. I have only read 5 of these books, three of these being way into my twenties. So I embark on this journey to become well read (it also doesn't hurt that I can accomplish this goal while lounging on the couch). Ulysses. Seth asked me what it was about, and much to my chagrin, I could not answer, but soon I will know, and when I find out, I will share it with you, as you can expect my posts to take on a much more pedantry air.
On that note, accomplishments two and three have me rubbing elbows with Lafayette's finest, the hobos. I am pretty sure that at any given point during the day, the entire homeless population of our town is either at the library or the plasma bank, and by January I hope to have a few new buddies who can teach me how to make a mean hobo chili.
Things are pretty dull here in Indiana, nothing really to report, Holly and Eric are coming to visit us for a few days on Sunday, which will be nice, because then we will get to really see all of the sights and tourist attractions of the Lafayette that you only visit when relatives are in town.....
Seth is putting his nose to the physics stone and is looking forward to graduating in a few months, or dreading it with the certainty of unemployment and eventual homelessness, it is hard to tell.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

See you soon!

Post a Comment